I think the reason why I even hesitated was because I was nervous. Being the teacher is such a big responsibility! Not to mention, right around the time Jaden was of pre-school age, I was about to give birth and I wasn't sure I'd have the energy.
So, about 2 months before Fenn was born, I put both Jaden and Mara in pre-school part time. I really needed a break physically and mentally at that time, even if it was only a few hours a week. I found a really great place and I was very excited about sending them to school. They both started out in a toddler classroom where there were 9 kids total and 2 main teachers. Their teachers were great with the kids and I fell in love with them after Jaden had her seizure and they handled everything so well.
Mara was on the young side, she was only 18 months old. While she did enjoy seeing her teacher and getting to paint and play on the playground, she always cried when I left. She also had a difficult time napping since she was used to co-sleeping for naps. So, when Fenn was about 2 months old, I decided to take Mara out and have her be home with me. At this time, Jaden was moved up to the pre-school aged classroom.
I was hesitant because I didn't know the new teachers that well. The classroom also had more kids, 24 instead of 9. But, because it was summer there were less kids than usual. After a couple of months, the school year started and the classroom enrollment went up to full capacity. I started noticing Jaden's behavior changing. She was often very rough and aggressive in her play on days that she had school. I also didn't like the disconnect with the new teachers and it seemed like everytime I was there picking her up or dropping her off it was someone new and the main teachers were never there.
So, I started to research homeschooling options. At this point Fenn was 4 months old and our life was finally getting into somewhat of a predictable routine. I felt confident that I would be able to take Jaden out of pre-school and homeschool her as I had initially thought about doing. Her last day of school was September 14th.
I searched the internet high and low for homeschool curriculum that I felt would work for us. Someone recommended "Five in a Row." It is based on the Charlotte Mason way of teaching. Basically, you learn through literature. The "Five in a Row" curriculum has you read the same story to your children every day of the week (five days in a row). It then gives you ideas for learning activities that go hand in hand with the book. I felt like this was perfect for us because both Jackie and I are avid readers. Their pre-school curriculum is for ages 2-4, too, so Mara can participate as well.
I am very excited about getting started! I will admit I am still a little bit anxious since I have never done anything like this before. But, I'm thinking it will be a great bonding experience with the kids and it will make our days more interesting.
I am very excited about getting started! I will admit I am still a little bit anxious since I have never done anything like this before. But, I'm thinking it will be a great bonding experience with the kids and it will make our days more interesting.

No comments:
Post a Comment